The History of Shadybowl

Shadybowl Speedway has been open for many decades, bringing excitement and entertainment to thousands of people. When the track opened in the mid-1940's, it had a dirt surface. In 1949, it was paved with asphalt. The speedway is the worlds fastest 3/10th of a mile asphalt speedway. The track has had several owners over the years, with the current owners being the Young/Mahaffey family. They have made several signifcant improvements to the track, including resurfacing the entire track with brand new asphalt. This will add speed and excitement to the racing for 2012. The track has played host to many big name drivers, including Dale Earnhardt, Jr., as well as many local racing legends including Dick Freeman, Robbie Dean, Jim Cushman, and more. Racing takes place on Saturday nights.

Social MediaMake sure you're subscribing to the official Shadybowl Twitter Feed and Facebook page!

1940s 1940s 1940s
A very early photo of Shadybowl when it was still a dirt track (mid-40's). Original posting of photo here. In the infield at the track (approximately 1946). Photo originally posted here. Another infield shot at the track from the mid 40's. Photo posted here originally.
1940s 1940s 1940s
Racing action on the dirt from the mid 1940's. Photo found here. Another infield shot looking up onto the hill. Photo posted here originally. A racing shot from the infield. Drivers and track officials were both daredevils back then! Photo found here.
1940s 1950s 1950s
The scoring tower in the infield is now where the scales are located. Original posting of photo here. Sonny Pencil in the #1 car. Photo taken in the 1950's. Photo from this collection online. The #2 coupe. Photo from the Dick Eder collection and was taken in the 1950's.
1960s tickets 1960s
This photo of Powder Puff driver Ruth Toht was taken in the 1960's. Original posting of photo here. Vintage grandstand admission tickets (date unknown). Driver Dick Kelly from the mid 1960's. Photo originally uploaded here.
Copyright 2014, Shadybowl Speedway, 9892 Flowing Well Road, DeGraff, Ohio 43318, (937) 585-9456
Facebook Page Twitter Feed